For INTERNATIONAL Applicants ONLY
Please review the International Artist Residency Program Application Guidelines prior to beginning your application and submitting your proposal.
Open but incomplete application forms and forms not accompanied by an application fee will not be processed.
If you are an international artist residing in the US for over 3 years, you are eligible to apply as a US Based applicant to our Open Calls. The next Open Call will be in announced in September 2019.
International Applicants may apply for three-month and six-month residencies.Three-monthh residencies are the length of one season, and six-month residencies will span across two seasons. We are currently accepting applications on a rolling basis for 2020 Seasons I, II, III, IV, and 2021 Seasons I, II, III, IV spanning from January – December. Priority will be given to international artists who have secured sponsorship or have funding pending acceptance to the program. Subject to availability!
ELIGIBILITY: The program is open to all international and national visual artists with an active professional practice of at least three years. All information submitted on the application form, C.V. and support materials must be in English. Artists who are currently based in the U.S. are eligible to apply as either International or US artists, accordingly. Applicants do not have to be citizens or permanent residents. However, they must already be legally residing in the U.S. and be able to provide a current U.S. mailing address. Students are not eligible to apply.
APPLICATION FEE: A non-refundable application fee of $35 (US) is required with each application. Payment must be submitted via credit card through the online application form payment system. After you complete and submit your application, you will be directed to a confirmation page and a link to pay your application fee. The application fee must be paid at the time of submitting your application as you will not be able to re-log-in to access the payment page again. DO NOT mail checks, cash or send money via Western Union, Money Gram, Postal Money Gram to the NARS Foundation office.
NOTIFICATION: Notifications of the results will be sent via e-mail within six weeks of the deadline. Please make sure that the email address provided on the application form is an account that you check regularly. A Letter of Acceptance for use in obtaining additional funding support or visas can be requested after you receive your email notification of acceptance.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Open Call applicants must apply using this online application form. Please review the application requirements listed below before beginning your application. Note that there are two separate applications for US-Based artists and International artists. If you reside in the US, you are eligible to apply as a US-Based artist.
It is advised that all applicants create a log-in to be able to partially complete the form and return to finish it at a later date. Before submitting your application, you will be directed to a confirmation page where you will be able to review your form and return to edit or delete your uploaded files as needed. Once you submit your application, you will not be able to access your form again. Applicants will receive a confirmation email once the application form has been successfully submitted.
All information submitted on the application form, C.V. and support materials must be in English.
- NAME OF APPLICANT & CONTACT INFORMATION: Applicants must provide a current address and, if applicable, an alternate/permanent address.
- C.V.: A copy of your most up to date CV should be uploaded in either Word or PDF format. Include your date and place of birth, and citizenship. Name your CV file “Artist’s Last Name_Artist’s First Name.doc/pdf.” The collaborating partner’s information and CV must also be submitted.
- RESIDENCY TERM PREFERENCE: Applicants must select their preferred residency term plus one alternative date from the available terms for each open call. A residency term may be three months long or the length of one season or six-months spanning across two seasons. Please refer to the application to check which terms we are currently accepting submissions for.
- RESIDENCY PROPOSAL/GOALS & ARTIST STATEMENT: Applicants will be required to write two brief statements that detail: the proposed residency project or activities (300 words) and an Artist Bio (400 words).
- WORK SAMPLE: Artists may upload up to 10 work samples, a combination of images and/or audio, video files. Artists may also provide video links (from their personal site or from video hosting sites such as Vimeo or youtube). Images should be in JPEG format no larger than 1000 pixels on any side @ 72 dpi. Format each jpeg file name as “Artist’s Last NameArtist’s First Name1.jpg,” “Artist’s Last Name_ Artist’s First Name_2.jpg,” etc.
- WORK SAMPLE DESCRIPTION: Each uploaded image or video link must be accompanied by a corresponding Work Sample Description which lists the Title, Year, Medium, Dimensions of the artwork.
Collaborations: Applicants who wish to apply as collaborators need only submit one application form and application fee. One member of the collaborative team must be selected as the main applicant; their contact information will be used for all preliminary correspondence and notification. If the collaboration consists of more than two people, please contact us directly in order to proceed with your application.
Applications containing images and documents that are not labeled or uploaded according to the guidelines above will NOT be reviewed. Images will not be accepted by email.
NON-DISCRIMINATION: The program encourages and welcomes the participation of artists from all backgrounds and does not discriminate with regard to age, race, sex, sexual orientation, disability, religion, marital status, or nation of origin in its admission policies.
SELECTION: A jury consisting of NARS staff and select art professionals will review eligible applications on the merit of artistic quality; proposed project and studio practice; and the potential professional development and benefit from engaging with the NARS community and programs.
NOTIFICATION: Notifications of the results will be sent via e-mail within eight weeks of the deadline. Please make sure that the email address provided on the application form is an account that you check regularly. A Letter of Acceptance for use in obtaining additional funding support or visas can be requested after you receive your email notification of acceptance.