The New York Art Residency and Studios (NARS) Foundation is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit arts organization committed to supporting artists and curators on an international level as well engaging the local community in Brooklyn and the Greater New York area. NARS provides an array of creative support services and professional development opportunities to artists through its international residency program, progressive exhibition programs, and engaging public programs. These services operate in conjunction with our community outreach initiatives to promote greater accessibility to contemporary art for the under-served local community in south Brooklyn. Our mission is to present diverse platforms on which to nurture creative inspiration and innovative cross-pollination of ideas.
If you have any further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 718-768-2765.
This application is for INTERNATIONAL Applicants ONLY. US based artists must apply through our open call periods in either the spring or the fall.
Open but incomplete application forms and forms not accompanied by an application fee will not be processed.
If you are an international artist residing in the US for over 3 years, you are eligible to apply as a US Based applicant to our Open Calls. The next Open Call for US Based artists will be February 26 - March 18, 2024.
International Applicants may apply for three-month and six-month residencies. Three-month residencies are the length of one season, and six-month residencies will span across two seasons. We are currently accepting applications on a rolling basis for 2024 - 2025.
PROGRAM FEE: In 2024, the fee for a three month residency will be $8,293, six months is $15,756. In 2025 the fee for a three month residency will be $9,122, six months is $17,332. Artists are responsible for securing their own funding for the program fee. A list of previous International funders for the residency may be found on our website.
ELIGIBILITY: The program is open to all international visual artists with an active professional practice of at least three years. All information submitted on the application form, C.V. and support materials must be in English. Students are not eligible to apply.
APPLICATION FEE: A non-refundable application fee of $35 (US) is required with each application. Payment must be submitted via credit card through the online application form payment system. After you complete and submit your application, you will be directed to a confirmation page and a link to pay your application fee. The application fee must be paid at the time of submitting your application as you will not be able to re-log-in to access the payment page again. DO NOT mail checks, cash or send money via Western Union, Money Gram, Postal Money Gram to the NARS Foundation office.
NOTIFICATION: Notifications of the results will be sent via e-mail in accordance with the following schedule. If you do not receive a result from us within these timelines, please send us an email at email@example.com:
If you apply in January, February, or March, you’ll receive results in April / May.
If you apply in April, May, or June, you’ll receive results in July / August.
If you apply in July, August, or September, you’ll receive results in October / November.
If you apply in October, November, or December, you’ll receive results in January / February.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Open Call applicants must apply using this online application form. Please review the application requirements listed below before beginning your application. Note that there are two separate applications for US-Based artists and International artists. If you have resided in the US for three years or longer, you are eligible to apply as a US-Based artist.
It is advised that all applicants create a log-in to be able to partially complete the form and return to finish it at a later date. Before submitting your application, you will be directed to a confirmation page where you will be able to review your form and return to edit or delete your uploaded files as needed. Once you submit your application, you will not be able to access your form again. Applicants will receive a confirmation email once the application form has been successfully submitted.
All information submitted on the application form, C.V. and support materials must be in English.
- NAME OF APPLICANT & CONTACT INFORMATION: Applicants must provide a current address and, if applicable, an alternate/permanent address.
- C.V.: A copy of your most up to date CV should be uploaded in either Word or PDF format. Include your date and place of birth, and citizenship. Name your CV file “Artist’s Last Name_Artist’s First Name.doc/pdf.” The collaborating partner’s information and CV must also be submitted.
- RESIDENCY TERM PREFERENCE: Applicants must select their preferred residency term plus one alternative date from the available terms for each open call. A residency term may be three months long or the length of one season or six-months spanning across two seasons. Please refer to the application to check which terms we are currently accepting submissions for.
- RESIDENCY PROPOSAL/GOALS & ARTIST STATEMENT: Applicants will be required to write two brief statements that detail: the proposed residency project or activities (400 words) and an Artist Bio (300 words).
- WORK SAMPLE: Artists may upload up to 10 work samples, a combination of images and/or audio, video files. Artists may also provide video links (from their personal site or from video hosting sites such as Vimeo or youtube). Images should be in JPEG format no larger than 1000 pixels on any side @ 72 dpi. Format each jpeg file name as “Artist’s Last NameArtist’s First Name1.jpg,” “Artist’s Last Name_ Artist’s First Name_2.jpg,” etc.
- WORK SAMPLE DESCRIPTION: Each uploaded image or video link must be accompanied by a corresponding Work Sample Description which lists the Title, Year, Medium, Dimensions of the artwork.
Collaborations: Applicants who wish to apply as collaborators need only submit one application form and application fee. One member of the collaborative team must be selected as the main applicant; their contact information will be used for all preliminary & future correspondence and notification. If the collaboration consists of more than two people, please contact us directly in order to proceed with your application.
Applications containing images and documents that are not labeled or uploaded according to the guidelines above will NOT be reviewed. Images will not be accepted by email.
NON-DISCRIMINATION: The program encourages and welcomes the participation of artists from all backgrounds and does not discriminate with regard to age, race, sex, sexual orientation, disability, religion, marital status, or nation of origin in its admission policies.
SELECTION: Eligible applications will be reviewed and selected on the merit of artistic quality; proposed project and studio practice; and the potential professional development and benefit from engaging with the NARS community and programs.
NOTIFICATION: Notifications of the results will be sent via e-mail. Please make sure that the email address provided on the application form is an account that you check regularly. A Letter of Acceptance for use in obtaining additional funding support or visas can be requested after you receive your email notification of acceptance. Please visit our website to see the full rolling application schedule and when you will receive notification, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.